If Dad’s idea of the perfect Father's Day is spending it with the kids, here is an inexpensive idea: A tech-free day with NO COMPLAINING. This is your chance to get everyone off their devices and video games for the day and spend quality family time together.
10 Ideas for Tech-free Activities
- Teach the kids how to make/ grill dad’s favorite meal or bake his favorite dessert.
- If it’s a rainy day, play Dad’s favorite old school board game or put together a puzzle.
- Pack a picnic and go for a hike.
- Go to a sporting event or play a sport together.
- Plan a family scavenger hunt. The Internet has plenty of suggestions.
- Go to the driving range or play miniature golf.
- Go to the zoo.
- Go camping. If you are far enough away from civilization shutting off technology will be a given!
- Try a family adventure. Go somewhere in your town where you have never gone but have always wanted to. Try something new.
- Wrap up the day with one of Dad’s favorite movies.
Tips to Help the Day Go Smoother
- Set the expectation ahead of time, the day before or night before.
- It doesn’t have to be all day, for example, 8 am to 8 pm. (Let them get their Streaks in!)
- Model your expectations, no tech for parents as well!
- Compliment them on how well they’re doing.
- If the kids grumble, instead of getting frustrated say, “I know this is an adjustment, thank you for doing this for Dad.” and move on.
I read a Facebook post recently that said you only have 18 summers with your kids, so make the most of it. That applies to Father’s Days with your kids as well. Who knows, maybe you’ll enjoy this so much you’ll decide to do tech free days more often.
Happy Father’s Day! Enjoy your day and let us know how it goes.
Cheryl Kosmerl, MSW, LCSW
I'm a clinical social worker and child advocate. After more than 20 years of working with children and adolescents in a variety of settings I created Sexting Solutions, a successful program designed to teach kids to respect themselves and others, show empathy and stop abuse. Intended as an alternative to legal consequences for kids who were caught sexting, it focuses on building skills that develop a solid foundation for healthier adolescent years and beyond. Connect with me on LinkedIn by clicking the icon directly below.